In the last podcast Miss Mercy and the Mad Farmer tried the Amaretto Sour with more natural ingredients. That was way better than using the store-bought mix but we thought we could still do better. This week, for the last attempt of the month, we decided to attempt the “Best Amaretto Sour in the World”. This recipe has been created by Jeffery Morganthaller who is apparently a bartender.
In the interest of full disclosure neither Miss Mercy nor the Mad Farmer personally know Jeffery Morganthaller and, we haven’t tried all the recipes for Amaretto Sour that exist, so we’re not actually sure if this is the best or not. The good news is you don’t have to know someone to try out their recipe for cocktails! We did, we aren’t sad, and we hope you follow along…
- 1½ oz/45 ml amaretto
- ¾ oz/22.5 ml cask-proof bourbon
- 1 oz/30 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp/5 ml 2:1 simple syrup
- ½ oz/15 ml egg white, lightly beaten
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake without ice or (even better) use an immersion blender to combine and froth.
- Shake well with cracked ice.
- Strain over fresh ice in an old fashioned glass
- Garnish with lemon peel and brandied cherries, if desired..